The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Go down

The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:51 am



That explains better what this is than I can. So what do you guy's think about this? Do you think it will affect LPer's? Is it completely stupid or do you feel it is kinda just?

As for me, allow me to quote myself on a comment to PseudoKlassic's video:


MrSethGodSOURCE @ Youtube.com wrote:Well the bill is MORE SO directed to music me thinks. The article NCS posted was really music relative, and if you look at it videogame companies never give copyright strikes, that's something more common with posting music.

Also "2,500$" economic value? If anything huge LPers like Chuggaa and NCS MAKE the game companies 2,500$" when people say "Oh, this game is neat" and go buy it.

Doesn't seem like something that will be overall problematic for LP community. At least I hope.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:13 pm

It won't do anything for the gaming community. The gaming community is a free right, it's not like they are pirating the games like music or movies. It is a free service because YOU are the one playing it, not someone else. It's also FREE advertisements of games and consoles, the gaming companies wouldn't want to spend their money to advertise when Youtube can do it for free. Also on the topic of Youtube, Rooster Teeth, Machinama and all the other LP'ers and video game videos would never let Youtube kill them off, also Google is very inclined with Youtube so they will DEFINITELY have something to say about this "bill", considering half their content is game related. This bill is meant for the pirating not the viewing.
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 pm

This WILL affect LPers, however, they just do not see the flaw in the writing of the bill, I DID say something about this after MrSethGodSOURCE made a suggestion, this does not mean to affect gamers, however it WILL unless you contact your area and state representatives as well as key federal companies. Don't fool yourselves, this IS meant for movies and music, but this STILL will hit LPers like a bitch. (Apologize for any mistakes I can't see my keyboard and I'm in PA for the week, meaning no high end computers.)
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 am

It says no Copyrighted Material. But games is under the Free Use terms of service. In voice of that even if "Copyrighted Material" goes against that, they would have the get every video game company to say yes to this that people cannot use their works and they will not like that as they lose FREE advertising and lose large communities.
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Games are copyrighted, and this bill will affect them, but again, only accidentally, games are copyrighted, but when purchasing a game, you don't purchase the software, you purchase a license to the software, but again, they are still copyright, here, let me show you what I mean with help from dspgaming.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Still believe it won't affect or go through at all. It would just destroy the gaming business and hundreds of companies will repeal and/or debate angerly.
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Not to say it wouldn't be resolved after it passes. (In fact besides gaming, I'm pushing this bill) but at the moment its wording will affect gaming.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 pm

shotguhn wrote:not to say it wouldnt be resolved after it passes (in fact besides gaming, im pusing this bill) but at the moment its wording will affect gaming

Not really, as I stated in my original comment on the matter it specifies that there has to be a loss in income equal to or greater than 2,500$. You can't download a streaming videogame from youtube and play it. Therefore you cannot cost the company money. You CAN though download movies and music that are being streamed, therefore if the movie costed 19.99 that is 19.99 the company will not get and that CAN add up to 2,500$ in loss. If the owner of the content can potentially lose money as a result of the stream, the bill will become relevant. Else, it will not.

The wording is really vague though, as is all laws by design so that lawyers aren't obsolete. So it can be interpreted otherwise. Just my take on it. And it DOES specify that there must be an economic loss of 2,500$ or more. So the gaming company would have to find a way to justify them losing 2,500$ as a result of each stream they attempt to strike.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:20 pm

The companies won't be the ones striking, the government will. You don't understand, the gaming companies get NO say in the matter, also you said it yourself, the wording is vague, meaning the government could easily use that loophole to kill any stream, channel, or gameplay company they want, unless that target has explicit permission from the copyright holder, the government can easily bullshit a loss for twenty-five-hundred dollars, I mean look at school districts, they say their missing one hundred thousand dollars, when I've SEEN the bank documents that show that money is sitting in an account, being used for nothing, except possibly toilet paper.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 pm

You have no statistic for your base, but Seth is right they are not losing money, pirating games is a separate story but just streams? Nuh-uh, nothing lost there.
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 pm

You leave even less basis for your theories, so... you shot yourself in the foot there.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 am

Not true, games ARE under Free Use. There goes your "I have no basis" claim.
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am

shotguhn wrote:The companies won't be the ones striking, the government will. You don't understand, the gaming companies get NO say in the matter

Though this may be true, you do understand that in this modern age Corporations have more influence then the government? If what you said was true, it would likely remain that yes they could start calling up the bill if they somehow proved to care (which, themselves, they will not) but if let's say Sony came in and said "Woah, we are losing money on this deal" they could overrule. Don't underestimate the large corporations of this era.

Bills are meant to be used in a court of law, as basis to a lawsuit. Pirating movies is already illegal. WHEN is the last time you saw the government themselves shut down a pirating website? Or stop someone from pirating? Never basically. The government has both better things to do and frankly don't care about anything unless they can make a political gain off of it. Cracking down on streamers and their many fans? NOT a good play politically if you wanna keep votes coming in. The only practical use for this bill will be companies filing claims or literally SUING someone for it, something the government itself would not even consider doing in a million years. Unless maybe "Anti-Government.com" could be shut down in the process.

(By the way, made up site name.)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 pm

You guys cannot read, end of story, games are not fair use, UNLESS for the purpose of an actual registered company affiliated with the copyright holder.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:41 pm

shotguhn wrote:You guys cannot read.

I resent that remark and your getting a little too offensive for nothing..

shotguhn wrote:games are not fair use

Do your homework, unless ALL content in your videos is ether owned by you or subject to terms of FAIR USE you CANNOT become a youtube partner, therefor EVERYTHING in chuggaaconroy's (Or PartneredGamerDudeWhoIsAwesome's or whoevers) videos are ether owned by him and/or are subject to fair use. End of story, so on that you are wrong.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Chuggaaconroy is only a partner because of the game station, do YOUR homework. TGS barely puts out any video game content, only trailers and live action parodies of video games. (IE chuggaaconroy doesn't get ad revenue)
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:59 pm

shotguhn wrote:Chuggaaconroy is only a partner because of the game station, do YOUR homework. TGS barely puts out any video game content, only trailers and lie action parodies of video games. (IE chuggaaconroy doesn't get ad revenue)

Have you never watched Haydunn's metapod sweep on TheGameStation? Or that fake Pokemon Hack? Or Masterpiece Gaming? Or that minecraft world thing? TGS does it, Machinima (oh boy does machinima ever do it) I remember freddiew did it at some point. These channels would not be up today if they were not considered fair use to youtube.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Seth you officially own, can I get your autograph XD
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:54 pm

avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm


Never trust third party sites when it comes to these things. You need to read the bill yourself and make logical sense of it. Sites will slap anything on there to make a good news story. To cause an uproar. That is the goal of the press.

gamrfeed.vgchartz.com wrote:Copyrighted by Nintendo, which means they could ding you for it and add to your total strikes.

Emphasis on the "THEY" could ding you. Contradicted by your own source. You were attempting to convince us that the government would be taking action, but even these sites state it would be Nintendo's decision. Nintendo already has the ability to take down any video and strike someones youtube account for it. 3 Strikes and your account is DELETED. They already have the power, just not to jail people. Have they EVER used it? No, not one game company ever has to the best of my knowledge. Therefore, it stands to reason LPing will not be any more affected then it already is. If 3 of your accounts were taken down from strikes by gaming companies already, THEN you have cause to worry about this bill.

TatteredTime wrote:Seth you officially own, can I get your autograph XD

To whom should I make this out to, and where should I mail it? =P

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by TatteredTime on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Lol to meee and to my Youtube comment box XD
avatar
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165
Points : 2910
Join date : 2011-05-02
Location : Castlevania, Europe

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by shotguhn on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 pm

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:
No, not one game company ever has to the best of my knowledge.
You obviously haven't met ROCKSTAR, the bitchiest game company ever, they will easily use this to their advantage. Also, this almost directly blows up in my face, due to the fact that I was very soon going to get Red Dead specifically to LP it.
avatar
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166
Points : 2927
Join date : 2011-04-29
Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The S.978 Bill? Discuss

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum