Let's Plays Are Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Makes a Good Game for LPs?

4 posters

Go down

What Makes a Good Game for LPs? Empty What Makes a Good Game for LPs?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Question asks itself. What do you think makes a good game to LP, or to watch being LPed. Not gonna add too many guidelines because this is 100% up to opinion and there are so many different factors that are integrated together into the gameplay of different games.

Back to top Go down

What Makes a Good Game for LPs? Empty Re: What Makes a Good Game for LPs?

Post by SNESkelly Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Something with enough happening to heed attention, but not so much as to over-shadow the commentary. I think that in that way, Zelda games are perfect for LPing.
SNESkelly
SNESkelly
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 118
Location : The United Kingdom/Great Britain/The British Isles/England

https://www.youtube.com/user/SNESkelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 pm

One thing that I like in a game are games that aren't too linear but not too open ether. Like, I personally think Minecraft is a horrible game to LP. In a way it's fun to watch if done right, but there is no end to it, therefore no sense of closure when the LP is like "Okay I got bored of this" next game.

SNESkelly said Zelda makes a good game, which I agree with fully, for it is a linear concept but with the Collectibles and Sidequests as well as winding dungeons it makes it a lot more dynamic.

Back to top Go down

Post by PseudoKlassic Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 am

I think that any game you feel comfortable with would make a good LPs. This is why blinds LPs are somewhat risky, but it can turn out to be your main source of getting subscribers. In short, any game is fine as long as you feel comfortable with it.

PseudoKlassic
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 30

https://www.youtube.com/user/PseudoKlassic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:15 pm

PseudoKlassic wrote:I think that any game you feel comfortable with would make a good LPs. This is why blinds LPs are somewhat risky, but it can turn out to be your main source of getting subscribers. In short, any game is fine as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Well yea you're right but there are some games that can be an exception to this in a way. Like I've seen LPs of like Mario Kart before and I just can't imagine any decent commentary that can go along with that game. It's more of a Post-Narration / Speedrun type game than a Let's Play type game, no matter how comfortable you are with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by shotguhn Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 pm

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:
SNESkelly said Zelda makes a good game, which I agree with fully, for it is a linear concept but with the Collectibles and Sidequests as well as winding dungeons it makes it a lot more dynamic.

OBJECTION!!!!!!! The Legend of Zelda is not linear, it was a free roam, every other Legend of Zelda game was though.
shotguhn
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

shotguhn wrote:
OBJECTION!!!!!!! The Legend of Zelda is not linear, it was a free roam, every other Legend of Zelda game was though.

You're kinda right. But I mean, storyline wise (particularly in later Zelda games) you always know where you have to go to beat it. Take out the collectibles and whatnot, it doesn't matter how big Hyrule Field is, because there's nothing to do in it but head towards the area you need to be in next.

Back to top Go down

Post by shotguhn Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Actually, I only meant the original Zelda, you could do the temples in any order. All the others are linear but with an option of roaming and collecting.
shotguhn
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:35 pm

There comes a time in a LPers development when a viewer who wants to start off will ask them what would be a good game to LP. I'm sure a lot of you may have been in this scenario. Some people hate it, but I was flattered that someone wanted my opinion.

And so, I answered him to the best of my ability. Then I realized what I said kinda makes a lot of sense and that it would fit well in this topic. Of course this is a discussion so if any of you disagree feel free to debate. So here it goes, my guide to picking out a first project:

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:
-Cutscene/Dialogue
--It's harder to LP when there are too many cutscenes, but also games that don't have ENOUGH cut-scenes or dialogue can come off as a little plot-absent. A game with JUST ENOUGH is the best kinda game.

-Variety
--Especially for a first LP, it is a lot easier to pick a game with variety. What I mean is "Crash Bandicoot" is a great game, but all you are doing half the time is breaking boxes to get a Gem. The more variety in the game, the easier it is to commentate, especially when you are still getting used to commentary altogether.

-Difficulty
--Fail is fun, so sometimes playing a REALLY EASY game will minimize funny reactions and shock factor will be a bit bland. On the other extreme, a game that is too hard will frustrate you TOO much and will be hard to pull off unless you are REALLY good at editing. Fail is fun. Too much fail is boring.

-Collectibles
--I always encourage 100% runs of games that are linear and easy, but have a few interesting collectibles on the side. This way you can make your LP more informative by showing off the locations of such collectibles and what they give you in the end, for those who have never gotten them all. (For such games I also recommend a practice run where you use a guide to help you find them all, that way you know where they all are when you actually record)

And finally the most important: PICK A GAME YOU LIKE. If you find one of the games more fun, or just plain like it better for personal value, it will show in your commentary. You can tell when someone plays a game just 'cause they think it will get them views. So first and foremost, find what game you like the most. If you enjoy playing them equally, then (and ONLY then) should you look into the other factors I mentioned.

Hope that helps you chose. And good luck with your LP.

Back to top Go down

Post by SNESkelly Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 pm

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:So here it goes, my guide to picking out a first project...
You are SO right about the cutscenes. The latter parts of Chrono Trigger are really cutscene heavy, between that and editing out battles it feels like I'm hardly saying anything!
SNESkelly
SNESkelly
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 118
Location : The United Kingdom/Great Britain/The British Isles/England

https://www.youtube.com/user/SNESkelly

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatKrypton Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:09 pm

It needs:
- Well driven plot and story.
- Interesting gameplay.
- Something that will keep both player and viewer attached to the game.

One game I really want to Let's Play is 'Catherine' but they haven't done a PC port, the game looks to be mad weird, have a great plot, awesome characters and several lps of it have been very interesting to me.
ThatKrypton
ThatKrypton
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 29

https://www.youtube.com/user/thatkrypton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:11 pm

ThatKrypton wrote:One game I really want to Let's Play is 'Catherine' but they haven't done a PC port, the game looks to be mad weird, have a great plot, awesome characters and several lps of it have been very interesting to me.

Never heard of it. I'd watch that if you LPed it. Razz What do you mean "They haven't done a PC port" though. Are you limited to LPing PC games?

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatKrypton Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:
ThatKrypton wrote:One game I really want to Let's Play is 'Catherine' but they haven't done a PC port, the game looks to be mad weird, have a great plot, awesome characters and several lps of it have been very interesting to me.

Never heard of it. I'd watch that if you LPed it. Razz What do you mean "They haven't done a PC port" though. Are you limited to LPing PC games?
No, no, they haven't released it for pc, it's a console exclusive.
ThatKrypton
ThatKrypton
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 29

https://www.youtube.com/user/thatkrypton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down