Let's Plays Are Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays?

+2
TatteredTime
PseudoKlassic
6 posters

Go down

Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays? Empty Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays?

Post by PseudoKlassic Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what you guys think are good equipments to make a decent LP. I recently got a Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD; I heard many positive comments about the capture card and hopefully it's better than the Diamond I use right now. I would like to change my headsets though, since I think the ones I use are not that good. What do you think are good headsets? As for the price, I'm looking for anything less than $120 I'd say.

Oh, and here is what I currently use for my LPs:

Diamond VC500 to record game play from my console
Logitech H530 Headset & WavePad to record/edit commentary
Vegas 9.0 to edit my videos

You can go check the quality of them in my videos.

PseudoKlassic
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 30

https://www.youtube.com/user/PseudoKlassic

Back to top Go down

Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays? Empty Re: Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays?

Post by TatteredTime Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:21 pm

I use Startech Capture Cable, Logitech Headset with Audacity and Vegas Pro 10, my logitech was about $24
TatteredTime
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 165

https://www.youtube.com/SelectYourGame

Back to top Go down

Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays? Empty Re: Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays?

Post by PseudoKlassic Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:40 pm

The Startech seems similar to the Diamond, and the price seems the same too. Do you think the Dazzle records with better quality, though?

PseudoKlassic
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by TatteredTime Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm

I guess it depends. I mean, the Startech I got is just a USB capture cable, 39 bucks with only standard cables (I don't need HD). So really I guess it depends on what you can afford and how you go about using it.
TatteredTime
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by shotguhn Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Just don't use what I use, you have been warned about the Dazzle.
shotguhn
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Male Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by PseudoKlassic Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Why? Is the Dazzle bad? I kept seeing good comments about it! D:

PseudoKlassic
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by TatteredTime Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Dazzle is terrible, I had it once, regretted that $60 so much...
TatteredTime
TatteredTime
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by shotguhn Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Birthday present, but for 30, I'm almost to 100 so I'm going to get something good.
shotguhn
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Decent Equipment to record Let's Plays? Empty Buying guide to answer all your capture card questions

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am

PseudoKlassic wrote:The Startech seems similar to the Diamond, and the price seems the same too. Do you think the Dazzle records with better quality, though?

I've been doing my research and I'm someone who is very concerned with getting the most out of what he can get. And this message goes out to everyone here debating the whole Dazzle vs. Diamond vs. Whatever.

Essentially speaking, they are all more or less the same. The resolutions they record in all float around 480p. The dazzle can allegedly bump up to 720p with pinnacle but I tend to notice the 720p dazzle recordings look exactly the same as the 480p recordings. No matter where you look people will be complaining about dazzle, but then you will watch LPers like JoshJepson complain about their Diamond VC500.

I use an 8$ EasyCap and I was this close to buying a Diamond VC500 because of framedrops and whatnot. But then I worked with a handy program called "Debut Video Capture" and I got good quality (highest supported), auto de-interlacing, okay filesizes and NO LAG. And this EasyCap of mine is a FAKE. Some kid put it together for an extra buck.

Bottom line, there is likely no difference between component-svideo capture devices. You'd have to get into the HDPVR realm to start talking valid differences. Also note that a good processor and GPU is the most important thing when it comes to capture devices. My old computer would not record higher then 240p and would still drop frames at that.

My new computer using the SAME setup records fine at 480p. The difference? Quad-Core 2.1GHz processor (though Dual-Core 2.5+ is even better) and an ATI Radeon HD 5650 GPU with 1024MB of dedicated DDR3 memory. My old computer ran pretty much the same specs but the GPU was ATI Radeon HD 3200. The 3200 used Shared Memory, that was the difference. My new GPU has dedicated.

The Dazzle is the better buy simply because Pinnacle Studio is, from what I hear, better at capturing. For Diamond you get Ulead Studio which is similar and for my EasyCap since it was a fake I had to get my own, which is the great-working Debut Video Capture. So all in all this is my advice on the matter. =)

Back to top Go down

Post by PseudoKlassic Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Well, that was a long answer, hehe. But seriously, thanks a lot for your advice. I actually just recorded a few episodes of my current LP and it seems that the Dazzle is a bit better, compared to the Diamond I used before. Thank goodness it wasn't a complete waste of money!

PseudoKlassic
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by shotguhn Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:16 pm

My old computer would not record higher then 240p and would still drop frames at that.
That might be my issue, I recently upgraded and haven't tried recording it yet, so thanks for that.

shotguhn
shotguhn
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatKrypton Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Mine is the basic:
Fraps
Sony Vegas 10
Plantronics Headset (basic)
Audacity for Sound Reduction and Editing.
ThatKrypton
ThatKrypton
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 29

https://www.youtube.com/user/thatkrypton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 pm

ThatKrypton wrote:Audacity for Sound Reduction and Editing.

What does this "editing" entail? People keep saying they use audacity to edit their audio and stuff, and yet I only use it to record and remove noise. That's it. Everything else can be done in Vegas quite simply.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatKrypton Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 pm

MrSethGodSOURCE wrote:
ThatKrypton wrote:Audacity for Sound Reduction and Editing.

What does this "editing" entail? People keep saying they use audacity to edit their audio and stuff, and yet I only use it to record and remove noise. That's it. Everything else can be done in Vegas quite simply.
Remove noise, increase volume, decrease/increase gain ect.
ThatKrypton
ThatKrypton
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 29

https://www.youtube.com/user/thatkrypton

Back to top Go down

Post by shadownight5150 Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 am

i got the i grabber is that a good one? I use MAC.
shadownight5150
shadownight5150
Beginner
Beginner

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by TheVarietyGamer Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 am

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I use this nice piece of equipment which may be fairly pricey depending on your budget, but will give you high quality footage and is much better than the dazzle.

I used the dazzle back in the day and the footage was fuzzy and not as crisp, but with the Hauppague and Sony Vegas you can create some high quality and beautiful videos. I even did some in 1080p, but then lowered it to 720 and eventually 480 to shorten rendering length and upload length.

TheVarietyGamer
NOOB
NOOB

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down